2016 Cash Sprint Triathlon & 5K Reservoir Run-Walk
Thanks again to all our Sponsors, Volunteers & Athletes!!! We hope you enjoyed the event and look forward to hearing from you on how we can make it bigger & better going forward. Again, the ultimate winners in this are the youth in our community. So on their behalf, Thank You!!
Jay Hanson – Event Co-Chairman & Race Director
Sam Switzer – Event Co-Chairman & Triathlon Guru
Saturday July 23, 2016
At Defiance Reservoir – Defiance, Ohio
7:40 am – All Athlete Meeting
8:00 am – Triathlon ‘Cannon’ Start
8:30 – 5K Reservoir Run-Walk Start
Thank You to our Event Sponsor & Triathlon Major Sponsor
Thank You to our 5K Reservoir Run-Walk Major Sponsor
Registration: Spint Triathlon Athletes must sign up online here:
Registration: 5K Reservoir Run Athletes sign up old fashion way:
Deliver 5K Registration Form & Payment to Sam Switzer Realty or Estle Chevrolet
Location: The Defiance Reservoir is a fun place for a race, especially when you can find it! We know, GPS hates this place. This might help: Event Map
Triathlon Event Flyer: Please promote this great race! Print off the Event Flyer, give it to your family & friends, and post it for the public! Triathlon – Flyer 2016
5K Reservoir Run Event Flyer & Registration Form: Please promote this great race! Print off the Event Flyer, give it to your family & friends, and post it for the public! 5K – Flyer 2016
Sponsorships: Become a sponsor! Please support this great event that raises money for the youth in our community. Deadline is 6/25/16. Triath & 5k – Sponsorship 2016
- Sam Switzer, Co-Chariman & Triathlon Guru (419) 782-4116 / email@example.com
- Jay Hanson, Co-Chairman & Race Director (419) 782-1900 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration and Parking:
- PHOTO I.D. REQUIRED TO RACE. NO EXCEPTIONS
- ALL USAT MEMBERS MUST PRESENT A CURRENT USAT CARD or pay an additional $15 fee for a one day permit.
- There is a limit of 750 entries.
- There will be NO SAME DAY registration for Triathlon
- There will be Same Day registration for 5K
- Get your entry in early.
- Parking is next to Resistration pavilions by the Sledding Hill.
- IF YOU NEED TO LEAVE EVENT EARLY, please park at North East corner of Reservoir at the Dog Walking Park.
- Registration Packets will be available for pickup at Sam Switzer Realty 322 Clinton St. Defiance, Ohio Friday July 22– 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at Defiance Resevoir or Saturday morning July 23 – 6:30 a.m. to 7:40 a.m. at the reservoir west end.
- YOU MUST SHOW PHOTO ID AND USAT MEMBERS MUST SHOW CURRENT USAT CARD for Triathlete’s
- NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION FOR TRIATHLON.
- All race packets and T-shirts not picked up before the race starts will be held for 2 weeks after the race at Sam Switzer Realty. (Downtown Defiance)
Team Registration Requirements & Individual
- Individual – $55.00 until July 21st, 2016
- Athletes signed up before 7/8/16 are guaranteed a Dri-Fit Race Shirt on race day.
- Team captains must complete the registration for all team members and be responsible for furnishing all team members with information and payment for the entire team.
- Minimum Age per USAT is 14 years (before 12-31-2016) for all team members.
- Be sure to register the team members IN ORDER OF PARTICIPATION (First- Swimmer; Second- Bike; Last- Runner).
- EACH AND EVERY TEAM MEMBER IS REQUIRED TO SHOW PHOTO ID AND SIGN USAT RELEASE FORMS AT PACKET PICKUP.
- Team packets will be located at the Registration table under the SWIMMERS LAST NAME.
- All Menbers must be USAT members or purchase a 1-day license
- There are 5 Levels of Teams
All Men Teams – $120.00 per team – By July 21, 2016
All Women Teams – $120.00 per team – By July 21, 2016
Coed Teams – $120.00 per team – By July 21, 2016
Corporate Teams – $120.00 per team 3- Co-workers, same company (any makeup)
High School Teams – 3-Students still in school from the same school (discounts for students) – $60.00 per team (There will be a Traveling Trophy for Corporate Teams and High School Teams)
- Late Registrations Forfeit the right to a Race T-Shirt
- Athletes that delay registration until during the same week as the race MAY FORFEIT ALL OF THEIR RIGHTS TO A RACE T-shirt, since there is insufficient time to order a T-shirt for you.
- HELMETS ARE MANDATORY, with chin straps snapped.
- You must bring your own water bottle for the bike portion of the race.
The transition area will be guarded. Only the Athletes will be able to be in the transition area, and will be the only one to pickup the bike and equipment. Your body ID must match up with your bike ID number.
- 1/2 mile – Triangle, with waves as needed with no more than 150 in each wave.
- Swimmers will be assigned to one wave with the proper color swim cap.
- If you feel you are competitive to win the race, you may ask to be placed in the first swim wave.
- USAT RULES will govern the use of wet suits.
- We do not offer an exclusive elite wave. The first wave will likely be men under 30. However, regardless of age or sex, if you feel (and have evidence) that you may be an overall race winner, you may contact the Race Director the week BEFORE the race to request a change to the first wave.
- Map: Swim Course
- 12 miles – a very flat loop.
- Bike helmets are required – ANSI approved.
- Bike helmets must be strapped before you leave transition-during biking until you re-enter the transition area to prevent disqualification.
- NO DRAFTING
- The course will be open to traffic. Riders must obey all traffic laws.
- No MP3 players/headphones… due to safety issues.
- YOU must furnish your own water on the bike course.
- You must put the ID # from the registration packet on your bike.
- Map: Bike Course
- Both Sprint Triathlon & 5K Reservoir Run
- 3.1 miles – some curves and a couple small hills, mostly on top of reservoir and roads. Through local neighborhoods and a huge suprise at the end.
- Runners must wear their race number on the front.
- Participants must complete the entire course for an official time.
- 3-Fun water stops along the way.
- No MP3 players/headphones… due to safety issues.
- Map: Run Course
Your personal insurance will be the primary carrier. USAT and Optimist International will be secondary carriers.
In the event of cancellation, no refunds will be made. Entries are not transferable, delayable or exchangeable.
We have the right to remove anyone from the race if we feel that your safety, or the safety of others, is at risk if you continue. We will not allow you to make this an unsafe race for you, and or other participants. So train hard and be prepared for hot weather. No MP3 players/headphones on both Bike & Run course… due to safety issues.
DRMC/ Pro Medica EMS will be on hand to handle any injury’s, Defiance Sheriffs Dept. will be there with their divers, and Defiance YMCA with the lifeguards for your safety.
Awards and Prizes
Cash will be presented to the top 5 female and top 5 male winners of the sprint Triathlon only. Medals will be awarded for five year age groups and teams in all other races. T-shirts, swim caps, USAT national products are provided. Local merchants donate items for door prizes.
This is a sanctioned USA TRIATHLON event. An annual membership may be purchased by calling 1-719-597-9090 or log on to www.usatriathlon.org.
- ALL MEMBERS MUST PRESENT A CURRENT USAT CARD AND
- A PHOTO I.D. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Additionally, USAT members Must show their USAT membership cards or
pay an additional $15 fee for a one day permit ($12 for youth 17 and under)
- USAT Rules will be enforced.
- Referees will enforce the USAT helmet rules prior to, and during the race.
- USAT Age Division Assignments will be determined by age on December 31 of the event year, NOT by age on race day. So, you will be assigned to an age division according to your age on December 31, 2016.
- The MINIMUM age for entry is 15 years (turning 15 anytime in 2016). This applies to a solo triathlete or as a member of a team.
- USA Triathlon required age group divisions for solo: Adult: 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85+
A Chip Timed Race Timing
The timing of both the Triathlon & 5K will be handled by the Rock Solid Results, Inc. out of Carmel, IN Phone (317) 513-1430. All participants must wear an assigned timing chip.
- You must check in before the race to receive your timing chip.
- You will be responsible for returning your timing chip
at the finish line or pay a $30 replacement fee.
- Teams are only assigned one timing chip (Bib Number)
and must transfer the chip to succeeding members of the team while in the transition area.
- Race results will be posted at the race, and on website.
- Race Penalties will also be posted immediately after the race.
Location: Defiance Reservoir – Wow – GPS hates finding this place! These might help:
Defiance Auditor Map: http://defiance.ddti.net/Map.aspx?Load=String&Todo=Find&SearchString=B110028002300
Yahoo Maps – search for: Kibble Rd, Defiance, OH 43512
This triathlon is put on by the Defiance Optimist Club and our mission is to raise monies for the youth of the Defiance area and to help support youth organizations.
After Race Food and Refreshments – Sponsored by Chief Supermarket. Thank You!
- Fruit and vegetables
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese, Cole Slaw
If you want to become a Sponsor, please submit this: Triath & 5k – Sponsorship 2015
Hampton Inn (419) 784-1515
Holiday Inn Express (419) 784-0782
Comfort Inn (419) 784-4900
Super 8 (800) 800-8000
2014 Results:2014’s Triathlon Race Results – Thank You DMP!,
2013 Results: 2013 Triathlon – Individuals , 2013 GM 5K Run-Walk , 2013 Triathlon – Teams
Pictures of the 2013 event can be found at & downloaded from Shutterfly. Don’t worry, it is free (unless you want to buy prints or trinkets with your picture on it directly from them). Special thanks to volunteers Marcella Ciccotelli & Darrell Handy for taking all the pictures!
2012 Results: http://www.rocksolidres.com/Defiance12i.html
The real winners in this event are the youth in our community. Thank you to all Athletes, Sponsors & Volunteers. We could not have done it without you!!!
Please help us thank the previous Sponsors of this event.
Please support these community minded businesses by doing business with them:
Defiance Metal Products, GM Defiance Casting Operations, Promedica Defiance Regional Hospital, Wells Fargo Advisors, Switzer Realty, Grant Insurnace, Defiance Chiropractic Center, KFC, Keller Trucking, Mark Moats Ford, R Bike Shop, First Federal Bank, The State Bank, Arthur/O’Niel/Mertz/Michel & Brown, Eye Surgeons, McDonald Design & Build, City Beverage/Bud Light, Stambaugh Jewelers, ReMax Realty-Defiance, Sherwood State Bank, Defiance Development & Visitors Bureau, Werlor Waste Control, Maumee Valley Vending, Arps Dairy, Dave’s Running Shop, Chief Supermarkets, Homier’s Monumental, Buffalo Wild Wings & Jersy’s Gameday Grill.